Astronaut, Mission Assurance Expert, Director of Space Initiatives, Author, Forensic Engineer
– OMS117 is an acronym for Olivas Mission Assurance and pays homage to NASA mission STS117, during which Dr. Olivas, with the help of a multi-disciplinary team of scientists, engineers and other professionals, devised a method to repair the space shuttle for the first time in orbit. It is perhaps the ultimate example of how adherence to Mission Assurance can save lives and multi-billion dollar investments in equipment and technology.
– Working as a materials engineering expert in product liability lawsuits gave Dr. Olivas insight into how little most companies appeared to be investing in Mission Assurance as a risk-mitigation practice. Rather than spending millions defending class actions and bet-the-company litigation, Dr. Olivas urges companies in high-risk industries to make the investment at the front end by engaging in Mission Assurance using his tested SOAR model.
– SOAR, designed by Dr. Olivas as a risk mitigation and rigorous mission assurance process, is a four-stage formula that tests systems, objectives, analyses and response.
– In addition to speaking to community, nonprofit and youth groups about the wonders of space travel and exploration, Dr. Olivas regularly addresses corporate audiences about risk mitigation through Mission Assurance and Lessons Learned in Space.™
– Checklistology™ is a word Dr. Olivas coined to refer to the science of ensuring safety checklists and protocols are complete, rational, simple enough to follow in high-stress situations, tested, trained and up-to-date.
– CASSMAR, the University of Texas Center for the Advancement of Space Safety and Mission Assurance Research, is a cross-functional, multidisciplinary center focused on proactive research and risk-reduction investigations for commercial human spaceflight through a collaboration of academia, government and industry partners. Its research, under Dr. Olivas’ direction, focuses on the humans, vehicles, environments and decision making that enable space travel.
– Endeavour’s Long Journey, authored by Dr. Olivas and illustrated by Gayle Garner Roski, celebrates space exploration and encourages grade school students to become scientists, engineers and explorers through the 19-year history of the Space Shuttle Endeavor’s missions and contribution to space travel.
For more information on booking Astronaut John “Danny” Olivas, Ph.D., P.E for speaking engagements or events please contact us here